REVIEW: Masquerade by Nancy Moser

 
 
MasqueradeMasquerade by Nancy Moser


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


1886, New York City: Charlotte Gleason, a rich heiress from England, escapes a family crisis by traveling to America in order to marry the even wealthier Conrad Tremaine. She soon decides that an arranged marriage is not for her and persuades her maid, Dora, to take her place. What begins as the whim of a spoiled rich girl wanting adventure becomes a test of survival amid poverty beyond Charlotte's blackest nightmares.




As for Dora, she lives a fairy tale complete with gowns, jewels, and lavish mansions--yet is tormented by guilt and the presence of another love that will not die. Will their masquerade be discovered? Will one of them have second thoughts? There is no guarantee the switch will work. It's a risk. It's the chance of a lifetime. Good Reads




I started Blogging as a way to talk about books I love. What I didn't expect is the personal growth and amazing influence other Bloggers would have on me. For a long time I avoided Inspirational Fiction. I'd describe myself more spiritual than Christian. I've always had a block with Christian fiction thinking it wasn't for me. When I came across the Bethany House website I didn't realise they primarily produced Inspirational fiction. So even though I got several e-mails from them about offerings I never requested any. Then I saw the cover for Masquerade and I was intrigued, and decided to order it.






I'm glad I did. Masquerade is the type of Historical Fiction I enjoy. Very similar to Prince and The Pauper Charlotte Gleason is on her way to an arranged wedding she doesn't want. In spoiled rich girl fashion she convinces her maid to change identities with her so she can experience some freedom.

The adventures that follow test the limits of both women's expectation and Charlotte's Faith. Nancy really captures the feeling of the time period and the social disparities between different classes. A great adventure, I enjoyed it and am now open to more inspirational fiction.




View all my reviews
 
 
 

Comments

Amy said…
I'm so glad you enjoyed the book Kai, and I totally agree with you about the way other bloggers have influenced what I read! :)

Popular Posts