PAST READS 2


Past Reads is my attempt to keep track of books I've read prior to blogging and signing up on good reads. I'm going to rely on memory, my book shelf, and regular trips top my local bookstore to try to compile an accurate list!




 



Recently a group of authors and writers were using the hashtag #YAsaves on twitter. It was a response to an article where the author was commenting on the dark themes prevalent in some YA books. I started to think of what if any books saved me and this book definitely qualifies.

It's been years since I've read this book, but so much of it is clear to me. Like Margaret I was flat chested and had not yet experienced puberty. I remember how I loved Margaret's narrative voice. Her sharp tongue and fixation on growing up and becoming a woman. I'll confess I spent many days doing "we , must we, must increase our bust!" exercises :)

My mother never talked to me about the changes that were coming for my body. Judy Blume's description of the menstrual cycle and reading about Margaret prepare and use the products for the first time removed a veil of mystery that was not being addressed in my home life.

When my menstrual cycle began I wasn't afraid . After all my "best friend" had been all through it. This book saved me from ignorance and portrayed an accurate example of the emotions and thoughts of a young girl on the cusp of womanhood. It will always have a special place in my heart.






 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts