Game of Thrones Read-a-long Update 2


 
 


I've been thinking a lot about people who read this book in 1996. As a viewer of the show, knowing the final outcome, I can see so clearly the intricacies of Martins plot and where the book is headed. The truth behind Robert's kingdom is unsettling. The politcal games, the liars and schemers and at the heart of it an honest man: Ned Stark.

Stark is woefully unprepared for the intricacies of the court. I felt so bad for him as he faces disappointment after disppointment. I also loved his decision to get Arya a "dancing "teacher. Arya suffers just as much as her father in this new environment, while  Sensa seems to be easily adapting.

I also enjoyed Jon and Tyrion's relationship at the Night's Watch headquarters. I've developed quite an affection for Tyrion. His relationship with Jon and the wonderous gift he gives Bran shows his sharp, clever mind. I wonder what kind of man he would have been if he had the height and good looks of his brother. It's also quite sad how he is made to suffer due to the actions of his siblings. It will be interesting to see if his family loyality will last in the midst of all that is to come.


I'm Really enjoying the pace of the novel. I was originally overwhelmed by the size of the books but once you start them its nearly impossible to put them down. Looking forward to hearing what you guys thought :)
 
 
 

Comments

I so want to read this one this year.
Vasilly said…
I'm totally failing at this read-along so far. It's probably because I'm in the middle of two chunksters right now! :-) I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the book.

Popular Posts