Review: 2012 Oscar Nominated Short: Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore







I'm always fascinated by the nominated shorts featured at the Oscars. The hard part is finding a venue to view them in pre and post the Oscar ceremony. This year however it's easier than ever to view these amazing animated and live action shorts in theaters.

You can also view them HERE through the Reach for the Stars Oscar website. I recently had the opportunity to watch these films through Vimeo and will be sharing my thoughts with you about some of my favorites .


The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

This mini film stole my heart. We meet Morris sitting pleasantly on his terrace surrounded by books and writing in his journal. Suddenly the town is hit by a tremendous windstorm. Buildings are upended, people are whisked too and fro until finally landing ,Wizard of Oz style into a black and white world of devastation.

As Morris wanders this strange landscape he looks up and sees a breathtaking sight: A beautiful young woman flying through the air, transported by a flock of flying books attached to strings.

As Morris follows in her wake he finds a large building stuffed floor to ceiling with magical books. The books welcome him and they begin to care for each other . Mornings begin with Morris preparing breakfast ( alphabet cereal of course!), helping the books to dress in colorful covers , and gently repairing ancient tomes with love and care.

Author & Illustrator William Joyce is at the helm of this gorgeous project along with co-director Brandon Oldenburg. This Silent film manages to convey several emotive states through gorgeous animation and beautiful music.

Such a wonderful experience , book lovers will especially be touched by this film as they watch Morris live his life amongst the books, brightening the lives of others by sharing books with them ,and writing his experiences in his own private journal. A well deserved nomination and I will be keeping my fingers crossed on Oscar night!


Comments

Vicky said…
I just watched this. Such a beautiful short. I sure hope it wins. It had both myself and my young son in tears. He told me "Those books were his friends!". Indeed they were.
OH MAN. I had no clue this was Oscar nominated! I watched this the other night and I was thinking, wow this is SO well done.

Popular Posts