REVIEW: Drama by Raina Telgemeier

 

13436373

 

 

FORMAT:
GRAPHIC NOVEL

PUBLISHER:

SCHOLASTIC

 

Like Contemporary Fiction , I rarely read Contemporary Graphic Novels. Most of my comic reading is either Horror or Superhero based. So when I saw this ARC at ALA annual I decided to pick it up as a way to expand my reading horizons. I really loved this read! The lead, Callie is a young girl many can relate too. Callie loves theater! Though she can’t act or sing Callie is a whiz at organizing. She is a stage hand which involves every aspect of the show: lighting, costumes, stage construction and the all important budgeting. In the midst of all this activity two special twin brothers enter Callie’s life and the the stage production. Twin brothers Justin and Jessie each effect Callie differently. Flamboyant and drama loving Justin is her theater soul mate. He has a passionate spirit that feeds off Callies enthusiasm.

 

With Jessie Callie seems to have found a possible boyfriend. Jessie is calm where Justin is excitable  and just as important he seems to have feelings towards Callie. Raina is a gifted illustrator and storyteller. The characters in her book are engaging and their personalities ring true. There is also a very wonderful exploration of finding your true identity in life, especially in regards to sexual orientation.

A wonderful fun read! Glee fans and theater geeks will really enjoy this read . I’m really looking forward to reading more of Rana’s work.

Comments

Vasilly said…
I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this! Since you enjoyed Drama, I recommend reading the author's first book, Smile or her graphic adaptations of Ann M. Martin's The Baby-Sitters Club.

Popular Posts