My Geeky Week Review: Courtney Crumrin Volume 1 & 2 by Ted Naifeh







458341  458343
Goodreads Link

I’ve finally had a chance to start on my Free Comic Book day pile and enjoyed Courtney’s comic so much I requested these two books from the Library. Ted is a double threat as a creative artist and writer. He also as a firm grasp on Courtney’s personality and shows it beautifully through her words and actions. Courtney has a bit of an edge. She is sarcastic, a bit dark and very no nonsense. It has a lot to do with the fact that she is an only child and that her parents are too self absorbed to care for her fully.

In The Night Things Courtney’s family moves into her Uncle’s gothic manor and finds a kindred spirit. Soon Courtney is raiding her Uncle’s library of magical tomes and fighting dark creatures in the forest. In the Coven of Mystics Courtney learns about other mystics as her Uncle is approached for a magical job after a murder. I love the combination of magic and gothic horror and watching Courtney’s emotional growth throughout both volumes.
These are quick but solid reads for all age readers. I’m looking forward to reading the other volumes in the series.


library
These are books 3 & 4 of My Summer Library Challenge

Comments

Danni Mae said…
What a cute idea! I love the covers for these books. Something about the description and synopses reminds me of the middlegrades done by Neil Gaiman. Have you read any of those and if so are they similar at all?
I love Neils midfle grade books and these do have a bit of dark edge to them :)

Popular Posts