Poetry Spotlight: Rumi : On finding The Beloved In Oneself

 

 

 

 

304079

Goodreads Link

 

Happy Monday! This is Valentines Week, and though I will do some posts on some of my favorite romance books and couples in literature, I also wanted to spotlight some wonderful poetry books I’ve been reading.

I first heard Rumi at a yoga class. A teacher I had been studying with regularly began to read a few passages to us before the final relaxation pose. One day I asked what she was reading and that’s how Rumi came into my life.

Rumi was a Persian man born to very educated parents. As he grew to manhood his family joined many caravans that traveled across the country. Rumi was married twice and had 4 children. He had a very prosperous life that allowed him to travel extensively and immerse himself in theology and Sufi mysticism. On a trip to Damascus Rumi began a friendship that would transform his life.

Rumi met the dervish Shams-e Tabrizi. In Shams Rumi found a beloved teacher and friend. He invited Shams back to his home and they spent many months  together exploring spiritual topics and enjoying each others company. In Rumi’s heart Shams had become a part of his family. He was given all the comforts in Rumi’s home and was a beloved Friend. A few in Rumi’s family questioned his presence and even thought Shams was taking advantage of Rumi.On the Night of December 5th 1248, Shams was called to the back door of Rumi’s home and was never seen again.  Many believed that one of Rumi’s sons was behind the disappearance and possible murder of Shams,

 

Rumi was devastated  by Shams disappearance. He searched for him desperately to no avail. However in the midst of his greatest sorrow Rumi realized that Shams was still with him, and that all he loved about his friend was also within himself:

 

Don’t Grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form”

Why Should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my body is in full bloom”

 

Rumi was blessed to see the beautiful horizon in the midst of all the storms life can bring and he left a lasting legacy for solace and enlightenment for generations of readers:

 

“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do”

 

“Your goal is not to seek love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

 

“ The Minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. they’re in each other all along.”

 

I hope I’ve interested you enough to check out this amazing poet!

Happy Valentines Day !

Comments

Popular Posts