Review: Rain of the Ghosts by Greg Weisman

 

 

 

17286840

 

 

Greg Weisman has written and directed some of my favorite animated series: Gargoyles and Young Justice. I don’t know how I missed the fact that he has written two novels, starring the character of Rain Cacique! I met Greg at Wondercon last month and picked up the first book in the Ghosts series.

Rain is a young girl on the cusp of her teenage years. She lives in an island community called the Prospero Keys that is a large tourist community.

Rain discovers that there is more to her community then she ever knew. Especially after she is gifted a bracelet fashioned in the shape of two gold snakes intertwined. After receiving the bracelet Rain finds that she can see ghosts and that she is the key figure that can unlock ancient mysteries of her island home.

I really loved how easily the narrative of this book unfolded. Weisman has a knack for writing the vernacular and motivations of young adults. The various characters motivations and emotional responses are very genuine  . Rain and her best friend Charlie are at an age that many of us remember fondly.  An age where magic discovered is accepted and even treasured.

I also loved the Racial diversity of the main character. A quick but satisfying read. I’m looking forward to reading the sequel.

Comments

Popular Posts