Crossover Sunday : Skipping Christmas by John Grisham


For Crossover Sunday I compare a source material to its adaption in another media. Today I'm Discussing:



Skipping  Christmas 
by John Grisham



Christmas With The Kranks is one of my favorite holiday movies. It's full of humor with a sweet message. I hadn't read the source material before so when I found the book at my library book sale I scooped it up.



Book vs Film

Reading this novel made me realize what a marvelous adaption the screen writers did for this movie. The plot is the same in both mediums: The Kranks only daughter has left home for the peace corps. The couple decide to defer being empty nesters for Christmas and book an island getaway. They also decide to forgo the obligatory Christmas obligations in their neighborhood which doesn't go over well with their neighbors. 

Then the unthinkable happens. Their daughter calls to say she is coming home with her brand new fiancee. Now the Kranks need to create the traditional Christmas their daughter is hoping to share with her fiancee.


Though I really enjoyed the novel I find the movie much more enjoyable. There is so much more humor and physical comedy in the movie than the book. Both however have a sweet holiday message.


Comments

Popular Posts