Middle Grade Summer: The Last Kids on Earth by Brallier & Holgate



I'm really enjoying my #middlegradesummer This book appeals to my zombie & Giant monster love. Our guide to this story is Jack Sullivan, a young boy who has retreated to his Tree house of awesomeness to survive the apocalypse. Jack is alone and he channels his far and anxiety into a list of goals and achievement badges.


 His goals include rescuing his crush June( though she doesn't need it), take various selfies and daredevil tasks with and against the zombies and creatures that populate his town and reconnect with his best friend Quint.

What Jack doesn't count on is the school bully Dirk showing up along with an increasing amount of dangerous monsters.

 I enjoyed Jack's personality a lot in this story. He is a bit of a smart mouth but he is very loyal to those he cares about. I also liked the racial diversity in this book. Jack's best friend Quint is Black and his crush is also racially diverse. The action parts are fun and Holgate's art really helps create the tone of the story. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

Comments

Popular Posts