Review: Doctor Who The American Adventures by Justin Richards





This collection of stories brings Britian's most popular Sci Fi icon to the United States. The stories range from California during 1849,The Oregon Trail in !846 to New York in 1902.

In each of these stories the Doctor shows up just in time to save locals from a variety of creatures.




One of my favorite stories in this collection is Taking The Plunge which is set in a theme park in 2017, where the ride Space Plunge leaves it's riders strangely tired.

In each story the doctor uses his combination of quick wits and a well placed screwdriver to rescue  unfortunate Americans from alien machinations.

In each story the reader gets an introduction to various characters before their lives overlap with the Doctor.  
Richards has an obvious grasp of the whoverse and long time viewers of the show will recognize some of the reatures being represented. 

I really enjoyed this volume. The stories were very engaging and kept me turning the pages. My one complaint of this volume was the characterization of The Doctor. Though his dialogue was engaging and his rescues timely, There was no way to distinguish which version of the Doctor this was witout the cover photograph.

I don't know if this is due to the stories being written earlier or if it was just a narrative flaw. I love the various incarnations of the Doctor and those character quirks are what makes the Doctor so special, so I missed them in the story. Despite this I enjoyed the stories a lot.

Comments

Popular Posts