RIPXIII Review: The Call of Cthulhu





H. P. Lovecraft has been woven into the fabric of horror and suspense since he was published in the 1920's.  He also revealed himself as racist and xenophobic as a person and in his fiction. As a horror fan I've seen many threads of Lovecraft lore threaded throughout many of my favorite books and movies and just recently decided to dive into the mythos of Cthulhu. Their are varying opinions on where to start with the Cthulhu mythos but I decided to start with Call:




I was immediately drawn into the story. It was interesting listening to the narrator go from a place of innocence to a abscessed, stricken character.  Step by step we watch the clues being revealed to a darker hidden world that few know about and even fewer return from.

There are a lot of slow bits in this story, but their are also passages that evoke a dark elegance that is a joy to fans of suspense and horror. 

There are genuine moments where a reader can be captured under the spell of Lovecraft's use of atmosphere and language. I'm looking forward to diving into more stories. I'll admit to cringing a bit at the blatant racism to certain characters that reflect Lovecraft's philosophies but I was able to overcome it. I got my E-book for free so I feel ok about reading and reviewing his works, their is talent in his works that can be enjoyed, even if his worldview doesn't align with mine.

Comments

Popular Posts