Official TBR Review: The Fireman by Joe Hill

29875363
One of the things I've noticed with authors that I read consistently is that as they change and grow so does their narrative and writing style. So what initially thrilled me about Joe Hill is not what will be present in every novel he writes. I was interested in the premise of this book: A virus is infesting people and it involves scaly marks on the skin and at it's zenith a person bursts into flames and dies. The main character of this story is a nurse named Harper who moves through the changing post apocalyptic landscape with a secret: She is infected and is desperately trying to stay alive until her baby is born. 
I just didn't really connect to this story, and I'm not really sure why. It could be reader fatigue or that the storyline seemed so familiar to other stories I read.
Either way I struggled a lot with it, but am still a fan of Joe. :)

Comments

Popular Posts