REVIEW: Lola's Secret by Monica McInerney

 

PUBLISHER:
BALLANTINE

Learn More About Monica HERE


Lola's Secret reminded me of the pleasures of a contemporary read. I also enjoyed the holiday elements of the book. Lola's Secret is a companion novel to Monica's other fiction book The Alphabet Sisters . Set in Southern Australia this book is an exploration into the lives and loves of the owners of the Valley View Motel which has been run by the Quinlan family for many years.


Despite the warm weather the Quinlans are known for their big holiday gatherings. Yet this year the family Matriarch Lola has encouraged the family to make their own plans for the holidays. Lola convinces them that she will be okay on her own, that she is looking forward to some time alone.

 In truth Lola has placed an ad to bring a group of strangers together for a special Holiday. As Lola finalizes her plans a series of events happen that change Lola's goals  and leave her in circumstances she couldn't imagine and a reunion that will change her life.

Lola is a wonderful character. She has the wisdom of a life well lived, a life that has had heartache and joy. I loved Lola's flamboyant style and suble and not so subtle meddling.

There were a lot of things I really enjoyed about this book, but I have to say I am disappointed that the main setup of the novel: A group of strangers coming together for the holiday's , didn't really come to fruition.

 The characters spotlighted are enjoyable and I found that they all had relateable challenges, and there is a wonderful small town feel to the characters and events.


A very solid read and I've already added Alphabet Sisters to my reading list!
  
 

Comments

I hope you enjoy Alphabet Sisters just as much!

Thanks for being on the tour.

Popular Posts