HallowREADS Review: A Spark Unseen by Sharon Cameron

 

 

 

halloween-Kai 3

 

 

11733187 17320980

 

I received a digital download of A Spark Unseen from Netgalley in exchange for sharing my thoughts.

 

PUBLISHER:

Scholastic

 

I was very fortunate to get an ARC of The Dark Unwinding at ALA annual last June. I knew nothing about the book except for the attached bookmark that had the final cover art on it. I fell in love with Dark ! It has a wonderfully gothic feeling with a hint of mystery, romance and steampunk creations  that made me a Sharon Cameron fangirl! I had no  idea that a sequel was in the works until a few months ago, and I was fortunate to recently be approved for the digital arc.

Despite the time between books I was able to slip seamlessly into the narrative and Katharine’s world. Set in the mid 1800’s A spark Unseen faithfully captures moments in history balanced with creative plot twists. In the opening chapters of this book we see the peace that Katharine and her Uncle have attained, rudely shattered. Katharine wakes to sounds in the middle of the night and finds two men trying to break into her room.

Katharine knows what these men want, her Uncle Tulman a mechanical genius whose playful inventions are sought after by those who seek to turn them into weapons in the war against Napoleon. The tension in these opening scenes was tremendous! I could barely catch my breath as Katharine fights for her life and her Uncles safety.

 

Katharine knows that the attacks won’t stop so she formulates a desperate plan. She leaves for France, to an estate she has inherited. She hopes this home will have preparations for the sheltering and hiding of her Uncle and the contacts to find Lane Moreau a young man that holds a special place in her Uncle’s heart as well as her own.

 

The action and adventure in this story are off the charts! Katharine has always been strong but in this book we see her come into her full potential. As Katharine’s allies dwindle, she struggles to discover who she can trust and how she will keep her Uncle safe. Sharon really keeps the reader on edge as all the pieces of the puzzle come together. There are welcome respites of humor and romance that keep the reader engaged with the fate of the characters.

I loved everything about this book! I read it in a day and as the pages dwindled I was sad to see the adventures of this little band end yet fully satisfied with the conclusion. I high recommend both of these books ! I’m also excited to see what the future holds for Sharon creatively. 

 RIP8main300

rip8peril1st

 

This is my 2nd book for R.I.P VIII

Comments

Popular Posts