Review: The Cage by Martin Vaughn-James





17675372
I received a download of this book from Netgalley in exchange for sharing my thoughts

PUBLISHER:
Coach House Books

The Cage is thought by many to be the first Graphic Novel. Originally published in 1975, it is being released again by Coach House Books. The cage is one of those books that is esoteric in nature and will effect each reader differently.
It begins very strongly with pictures and text discussing the nature of cages, both literal and emotional. I was really engaged with the narrative in the opening pages they had a very strong ties to the images being showed. Later on in the book though I found the narrative rambling and repetitive. What stops this book from being a two star review vs. a three star is the  art.
I really was able to sense the mood and atmosphere the writer was trying to invoke despite the rambling words. This was a very change of pace from my normal Graphic Novels but I did enjoy a great deal of it.

Comments

Popular Posts