Wondercon 2014 Wrap Up!

 

 

thCATWG1NZ

th

 

The Joy of Wondercon is having San Diego Comic-Con level guest and panels, matched with the attendance level of a smaller convention. This means that fans can actually get into nearly all their panel wish lists with a bit of planning. However what I noticed most about this convention was a Tipping Point in regards to the amount of female fans and more importantly minority fans.

Webster's defines The Tipping Point as the point at which an issue, idea, product, etc. crosses a certain threshold. This change was very noticeable in a convention the size of Wondercon. Everywhere I looked there were fangirls! From Grandmothers to cosplaying toddlers, there was a strong female presence and many of those girls were African- American, Hispanic and Asian.

I was also impressed with the amount of female creators that were guests of the convention. From the program cover above (I can’t remember if I’ve ever seen a lone female on the cover of a convention program),  To Authors and Artists like: Kiera Cass, Katie Cook, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Marjorie Liu, Gail Simone & Sara Ryan.

 

I was on the go all weekend so my picture taking was scant but here are the highlights of my convention:

 

 

 

 

Godzilla!

When I saw that there was a special signing with the writer and director of the new Godzilla film it became my must have item at the con. I had a great chat with two fangirls while waiting our chance at the lottery and all three of us won a wristband for the signing! Not to shabby since there were only a 100 available.

godzilla-wc-poster

 

Panels

 

So Many!

Friday

Batman Panel

A full house to learn about upcoming storylines in the Bat Verse. Was pleased to see Gail Simone talk about  Batgirl .

 

 

Son Of Batman

th

 

Warner Brothers has once again created a film that will please fans. In this movie we meet Damian, son of Talia and Bruce Wayne. After an attack on Talia and her fathers compound Damian is taken to Bruce for protection and a little Father & Son bonding. This was such a good movie! I’ll be doing a full review closer to it’s release. I also had the chance to meet the voice cast for the show and get a really nice signed poster.

 

 

One Upon A Time

I haven’t watched this show in a while put the episode they screened was lots of fun and I loved the cool poster they gave to attendees.

Star Wars Rebels

A really cool look at the new series coming this fall. See the post below for more info.

Showrunners

Their is a documentary film coming out this year that focuses on the producers/writers who helmed popular shows like The X-files, Bones, The Big Bang Theory, Buffy etc. It was so great to see Chris Carter for the very first time.

 

Shopping!

Bls1SuoIQAAdrs2 Blsr4L-IYAASHcD

BlswpWGIcAA6HAq BlswpKMIgAA9OVe

 

 

I did my shopping on Friday and Sunday and focused on signings on Saturday.

Freebies

 

BlswpzrIQAAI7KL

Cosplay

 

BliIBtiIgAA9j0z 

 

So much was going on that I couldn't capture due to running around. For my first con of the season though I was extremely pleased with the whole. event. Now I just need to catch up on my sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts