Nerdist Book Club: The Silmarillion: Starting Line & Update Posts

 

 

I have the best intentions towards Tolkien. I was mesmerized by the animated versions of The Lord of the Rings as a child but when I picked up the books I couldn't get through them at all! I’ve tried several times but have settled for numerous viewings of the Peter Jackson films. 

Two years ago I joined a group of bloggers in reading The Hobbit and was actually able to finish it! I also really enjoyed it. I’ve also been wanting to read some more of Tolkien’s work.   So I was really happy to see that Amy Ratcliffe is hosting a group read of one of Tolkien’s classic books. Below are the details from Amy via the Nerdist website:

 

 

logo

Photo and Content Below From The Nerdist Website: HERE

 

the silmarillion cover

“If you can’t track down that exact copy, you can still follow along with the reading schedule. Just be aware that your book may be slightly different. We’ll be tackling about 30 pages per week:

Part 1: Ainulindalë and Valaquenta – discussion July 8
Part 2: Chapters 1-4 – discussion July 15
Part 3: Chapters 5-8 – discussion July 22
Part 4: Chapters 9-10 – discussion July 29
Part 5: Chapters 11-13 – discussion August 5
Part 6: Chapters 14-16 – discussion August 12
Part 7: Chapters 17-18 – discussion August 19
Part 8: Chapter 19 – discussion August 26
Part 9: Chapter 20 – discussion September 2
Part 10: Chapter 21 – discussion September 9
Part 11: Chapters 22-24 – discussion September 16
Part 12: Akallabêth – discussion September 23
Part 13: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age – discussion September 30

A couple of pieces of advice before you get started:
- Don’t obsess about the pronunciations. It’s easy to get hung up on how to say a name, and it can suck the joy right out of reading. Pronounce names however you want and make up nicknames if it makes it simpler.
- Bookmark the family trees and maps so you can flip right to them when needed.

Who’s ready to go on an adventure with me? You’ll need to read Ainulindalë and Valaquenta by July 8. Journey to the comments and tell me if you’ll be participating. Be sure to let me know if you have questions here or hit me up on Twitter. In fact, if you’re going to read The Silmarillion and you use Twitter, let me know your user name so I can update you when the latest discussion goes live. Finally, when you tweet or post on any social media about the read-along, please use the hashtag #NerdistBookClub. “

 

Hope you join us!

Comments

Popular Posts