Dragon Summer: 1 How To Train Your Dragon Series by Cressida Cowell

 

 

Fiction State of Mind-03

 

Dragons have always been one of my favorite fantasy creatures. After seeing both of the amazing movies based on Cressida’s novel series I decided to read the source material.

 

220px-How_to_Train_Your_Dragon_Poster  220px-How_to_Train_Your_Dragon_2_poster

 

352262

 

One of the things I noticed right away was how different the novel was from the first movie. In the Novel the Island of Berk has been working with dragons for some time. However the Vikings treat them like work animals. The main training tool they use is yelling at them. Hiccup is an outcast in his tribe. Many defer to him just because of his status of future chief, except for his cousin who spends a great deal of time plotting Hiccup’s death.

 

Hiccup is just trying to keep his head down and pass Dragon Initiation so he doesn't get banished by his tribe. After successfully getting a dragon Hiccup is horrified to find that is a very tiny common brown dragon with quite the attitude.

This is a bit of a let down for Hiccup because he feels a fated connection to his new pet which is named Toothless, do to his lack of teeth. Worse he cant get Hiccup to do anything he needs in order to pass Initiation despite being fluent in Dragonese.

Though he wasn't the Toothless I’ve know and loved from the movies. I began to be attached to the little rude dragon with a penchant for bad jokes and short temper. There is a tremendous amount of humor and adventure in this book including a climatic final battle reminiscent of the finale in the second movie. I did miss the character Astrid, I hope she turns up in future volumes or some other female characters. This is a wonderful all age series. I’m looking forward to reading more in the series. Here are some of the upcoming volumes I will be reading:

 

143728  971239

 

 454600 7933700

 

1950067

 

This is my 13th Book for Coyer Summer Vacation 

 

CoyerSummerVacation-e1400347761773

This is my 14th book for Summer Library Challenge

library

Comments

Nice choice!

I thumbed through a few pages of this and then decided I'd rather just love the movies because of how different they are (And I'm not a fan of epistolary writing; it's harder for me to read), but I cyber-stalked forums to see what book fans thought of the movie. I love hearing a book lover's perspective!
I love the movies and had heard how different the books are. Thanks for reviewing - I think I'll stick to the movies for now!

Popular Posts