Classics Review: The Pearl by John Steinbeck



I read this during the last 24 hour readathon and was touched by it's profoundly beautiful use of language, and the tragic look at how greed destroys a family and a small village.

This is the story of Kino and Juana a young family whose lives are uphended when they find a large pearl. When Kino goes to sell the pearl he is not offered a price he thinks is fair so he takes the pearl back, setting off a series of event s that lead to tragedy.

It's amazing how much story and emotion get packed into these few pages. I was enthralled by the characters and situations in this book and the fantastic writing.

Comments

I read this for the first time last year. I had mixed feelings on it. Excellent writing but I didn't like the moral message. Either way, good book and Steinbeck continues impressing me with his stuff.

Popular Posts