First Annual #RepresentationRetreat Featuring Gargoyles

Life has been a little rough for me over the past few months. Nothing that hasn't been manageable with some therapy and self care, but for the first time in a very long time fandom hasn't been as enjoyable to me as it has in the past. I think what really made me down was looking at the slate of new films coming from Disney for the next few years. I have loved Star Wars for most of my life. Heck I'm older than the franchise! I have never felt unwelcome in the galaxy but as time passes and representation becomes an important topic in my life, as well as others, I feel disappointed to think that the next ten years of Star Wars is once again being dominated by one perspective in the live action films.
It also makes me exhausted. And much worse it has shaken my hope for a more diverse galaxy. But I also realize the future is NOT set, and who knows what potential representation is coming? So I've decided to retreat. Not surrendering hope, or stopping asking difficult questions about a franchise that will be 50 before it has the potential to have a diverse director. No to me this break is about immersing myself in content with diverse creators, characters, actors and voice actors. And I'm kicking it off with Gargoyles.  
Gargoyles (1994)
Gargoyles ran from 1994-1996 . The show was really groundbreaking to me because of the majority of diverse voice actors like Keith David:
 
Image result for gargoyles voice cast
And also because of Elisa Maza a young police office of color voiced by Salli Richardson
Elisa Maza.JPG
 
Image result for gargoyles voice cast
The show also features other amazing female voice actors as well, and was co-created by Greg Weisman who went on to create the Young Justice animated show. Gargoyles is just the fandom comfort food I need right now! Look for my updates on my rewatch of the series and other future pop culture I will be consuming under the hashtag #RepresentationRetreat

Comments

Popular Posts