12 Days Day 3: Children's Day

Traditionally Celebrated on December 28th. It was also called Childremass. There are a lot of interesting traditions surrounding this celebration. In some areas of the world it was traditional to beat children! These beatings were not with the intend to be cruel but based on the belief that if children suffered a little on this day the rest of the year would only bring them blessings! Children were also allowed to beat there parents! All of this was a tool to release tension and resentments and start the year off right!
 
Hmm maybe a playful family pillow fight? In the book Winter Solstice John Matthews has a wonderful exercise to Celebrate our inner child, Here are my results, hope you all give it a try as well :)
 
 
1)"Make a list of the Qualities  which best describe your own childhood and if you have children of your own ask them what things are most important to them right now, Compare the two and be prepared for some surprises!"
 
I don't have children but hear are the qualities I reflected on:
 
  • Animal's: it's an amazing thing for a child to grow up around animals. We had a huge backyard in our first house and my mother populated it with all types of animals: Rabbits, geese, Cat's, Dogs, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Fish. Needless to say I ruled at show and tell! especially with my bunnies Salt and Pepper.
 
  • Education: There are so many ways a child can be educated. I've mentioned before that my mother introduced me and encouraged me in my love of books, but there was also so much more. My mother loved to learn about new cultures and experiences. She once spent an entire month obsessed with Indian food with disastrous results! She was also prone to collecting fine china and crating afternoon teas for us. I owe my ability to walk in many different "worlds" to my mothers influence.
 
  • To Speak: Children rarely are at a loss for words! My Father however truly taught me to Speak. Like most children I was prone to emotional highs and lows.My mother had little patience for this and after a cursory "What's wrong?" and my stubborn response of "Nothing" she would move on leaving me to stew in my anger. My father however could always tell when something was eating away at me. Those little angers that seem to mean the world to a young child. My father seeing me in this state asked me what was wrong and getting my default "nothing" sat with me. After a few minutes he told me the following:
"If you tell me what is wrong I will do everything in my power to make it better,but if you don't tell me I can't do anything"
 
Even today when i find myself nursing some slight or grudge I find the way to voice my feelings. His advice has never failed me. Just by voicing my feelings I find resolution to my problems usually follows.
 
  • Holidays: My mother loved the holidays. Christmas was her favorite and it's mine as well. Along with all the trimmings and presents, my mother also found time to volunteer and provide for any of our neighbors that were struggling . No matter what my financial means are every year I always donate a toy and any finical contribution I can afford. I'm grateful that she instilled these habits in me.
 
I really enjoyed reflecting on these qualities  as John say in the book:
 
"What we are as Adults, comes from what we were as children so it is worthwhile to reflect on this as well"
 

Comments

Popular Posts