Thankful Reads: Think Of Those In Need

I don"t know where my Mother got the idea but every Fall she would sit with me and my sister and go through our clothes, books and toys. Toys that I hadn't played with awhile went in one pile, Broken and incomplete toys in another and well beloved toys in a third.
Broken toys were hrown away or repurposed, My favorites pile was then examined to see if I was willing to part with any for boys and girls that didn't have toys to play with and the same was done with the third pile.
My Mother's timing was perfect because it was on the cusp of the Holiday season when I knew I would be getting new toys soon and  it also introduced me to the concept of charity and thinking for others.
All of these sentiments are in play in the book Think of Those in Need.  In this book Mama Bear is dismayed at all the Stuff, her family has, including broken toys and duplicate fishing poles.
She gather's the family together and makes piles of things they can donate. What is beautiful about this story is that Mama Bear makes sure the family donates the items together and sees the positive impact their gift has on others. A fun and important read.
And FYI I still follow my Mother's example every Fall. I go through my items and donate them to places that have a great need along with monetary donations. This is a great book to read as a family.

Comments

Popular Posts