Review: The Endless Vessel by Charles Soule

I was so grateful and excited to get approved for this book because I am a fan of the writer's work in other mediums. Life conspired against me however the moment I downloaded it. I had no time to read except for a 30 minute lunch break three days a week.

This was really hard but it gave me the experience to see how well thought out the pacing of this story was and also appreciate how easily it was to sync back into the adventure.

And this story is a grand adventure. Three women one from a different time, and two living in a world on the edge of destruction are the center of the journey of this story. Each of them are unique for their times and their reaction to a new disease that has raged across an Earth that has barely survived a global pandemic. And all are on the path to the Endless Vessel .

There were times in this book where I thought it would be too much for me. So many of us are still raw from the current pandemic. Soule's writing brushes hard against that barely healing wound because it's an experience he has lived through as well. Visiting these themes is essential to the story and to the motivations of Lily and Jane our present day protagonists.

Through a shift in narrative we learn the origins of the thing Lily seeks and each trial she faces takes us closer to revelations.
I really enjoyed the feeling of being guided in this story. While I was conscious of details for this review, I was also completely absorbed in the story as each phase of it unfolded.
There is such joy in reading something that only requires you to come along, knowing all will be revealed , yet feeling the anticipation of how your guide is going to end the trip. Is the ending what you expected? Where your guesses about the characters fate wrong? Did you guess the ending?
I can happily state no to all of those questions. I didn't want to speculate, I just wanted to read , and learn and KNOW and the finale satisfied me deeply. So join this journey! Avoid spoilers if possible and be prepared to try to find the companion book Charles Soule wrote for this story and successfully funded on kickstarter.

Comments

Popular Posts